Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Un dia en la Mancha

Michelle and I went to Toledo yesterday. It's a beautiful old city on a hill about an hour south of Madrid. It ix the capital of the Castile-La Mancha region and thus full of Don Quixote statues and souvineers. We did a pretty good job navigating the metro and hus systems if I do say so myself, although we did have some good instructions given by one of our dormmates. There isn't much to do in Toledo other than some old cathedrals and museums, all of which you have to pay for so mostly we just wandered around looking at the old architecture, visiting shops full of swords and Don Q paraphernalia, and playing a game that I like to call Try Not to Die of Heat Stroke and Sun Exposure. We won. In spite of the heat, I loved the city and am glad we made the trip.

Last night we finally made it on the hostel's tapas tour. For nine euro the guide took us to three restaurants to sample the tapas and drinks that they specialize in. We started at a microbrewery that served a good beer and bread with a bunch of different toppings. Mine was tomato and cheese and it was delicious. The next place was too small for our large group so we stood outside while they brought us sangria and a bunch different dishes such as chees with salami and Spanish tortilla which is potato cooked with egg and onion like a fritatta. The last restaurant served hard, bitter cider which was good but I didn't eat anything because the only veggie tapa necer made it to us. After the tour I was too tired by a long day in the sun to go out. Just read and talked to my family.

As usual I will post pictures of the tour when I can get it to work!

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment